Monday, June 14, 2010

Rebecca Dautremer


I first saw Rébecca Dautremer's illustrations in a small shop in Paris when my husband and I were visiting Paris for the very first time. My husband was attending a conference and I tagged along since I had never been there. While he attended his meetings, I took every opportunity to browse book stores and children's books for French illustrators. Boy, did I find some wonderful illustrators! I fell in love with Rébecca's work and have looked for her books here in the US ever since then.

A few weeks ago I found her illustrations in "The Secret Lives of Princesses" written by Philippe Lechermeier. What a feast of color, design and style flows through this picture book! She creates her beautiful illustrations in gouache and has been illustrating books for over 10 years. Rebecca uses unusual views and every spread has such striking contrast with her color palette. Check out this book if you have a chance.. it is completely captivating. Also check out her website which has many more gorgeous illos.


7 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh hello, I am in awe of some the illustrators I have come across. I am in your flying lessons class~ I can't wait to see more of what your creating. I have added myself to your list of followers~
Have a creative week, Theresa

Bobbie Dacus said...

Hi Theresa, thanks for stopping by. I LOVE Rebecca's illustrations.. I think they are just so inspiring. I, too am in awe of some wonderful illustrators!

Anonymous said...

BOBBIE!! what a great surprise...just visited your blog for the first time, and I see you have the princess book too!! I treated my self the other day when I was at Barnes and Noble...it was like a magnet, such beautiful illustrations. One of my favorite books. wow.

Thanks Bobbie for sharing!!

Bobbie Dacus said...

RENA.. I'm so glad you checked out my blog! Yes, I LOVE Rebecca Dautremer and I TREATED myself to her book, too!

Unknown said...

Hi Bobbie,
Love the illustrations - so beautiful. I stopped by your website to admire your wonderful art. Very Fabulous indeed lady!!!!
xo

Bobbie Dacus said...

Thank you, Renee, for checking out my website! So glad you could stop by!

Johwey Redington said...

This is very interesting. I just checked out her site and I loved everything I saw. Thanks for introducing her.